Home   News   Article

WATCH: Appeals for help with flooding 'ignored' by council, say residents in Inverness

By Niall Harkiss

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

Residents hit by flooding are fearing the worst as water levels rise after heavy rainfall in several areas of Inverness.

Diriebught Road was closed to traffic earlier this evening with the stretch of road now submerged under water.


Locals are now calling upon Highland Council to respond to appeals for help.

After attempts to seek emergency assistance via phone, a member of the public hit out at the local authority claiming that residents have been "left to it", and that requests for sandbags and assistance have been ignored.

They said: "I'm banging my head against a brick wall with the council. I don't think they actually care. They have come down and shut Diriebught Road and left the residents to it. In various places it is flooding badly.

"One woman, I don't know how she is coping but she's literally a couple of inches away from her house being flooded. Millburn school was closed earlier. At no point has anyone been to see if any vulnerable people need help."

Residents now fear that with levels continuing to rise and no help at hand, their homes could be subjected to flooding during the night.

One resident said: "The housing management for the block of flats nearby have requested sandbags and they have been ignored. The roads department have all gone home for the day. It's really bad. It's getting dark, my mum is a pensioner and she can't get out and about on her own. I'm really worried for her safety. If the water rises, she won't be able to get out of that flat.

"Her window is overlooking the burn and if the water level comes up during the night when she is in her bed, she has nowhere to go. Nobody has been here to make sure people are okay. We haven't been told where to go if there is a flood. There has been nobody here all day. The council say they haven't been able to get hold of anybody."

A spokesperson for Highland Council advised: "The first responsibility for protecting property lies with the property owner. You can get sandbags from local builders merchants and check sources of advice below if you think you may be at risk of flooding.

"If a flood happens, we will try to help those most at risk, including vulnerable members of the community. Contact us if you are aware that a frail or vulnerable person is affected. We will also try to make filled sandbags available to those most vulnerable, where resources allow."

Flooding advice is available at highland.gov.uk/info/1226/emergencies/81/flooding.

For concerns regarding roads, flooding, and street lighting, members of the public are advised to call 01349 886601 or 01349 886690 (out of office).

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More