Home   Sport   Article

Inverness Caley Thistle's awful home form continues in Championship with defeat against Queen's Park

By Will Clark

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!
Max Anderson. Picture: James Mackenzie.
Max Anderson. Picture: James Mackenzie.

Scottish Championship

Inverness Caledonian Thistle 0

Queen's Park 1

Scorer: Thomas (50)

Inverness Caledonian Thistle missed out on a chance to pull away from the bottom two as they fell to defeat against Queen's Park.

Dominic Thomas scored the only goal of the game to give the visitors victory at the Caledonian Stadium on Saturday.

Caley Thistle's awful form at home continues with only two league victories all season in the Championship.

They are now only one point above Queen's Park in ninth with the Spiders' having a game in hand.

Despite the new arrivals during this week, manager Duncan Ferguson kept the same team which defeated Raith Rovers 3-2 in Kirkcaldy last weekend.

New arrivals Sean McAllister from Everton and Aribim Pepple from Luton Town were named on the substitutes bench.

Queen's Park had a golden opportunity to take the lead in the early stages when Alex Bannon got his head on to the end of a Dominic Thomas free kick, but his effort went just wide.

In a quiet first half, Inverness didn't create any opportunities until 10 minutes before half time when Cammy Kerr played in Max Anderson, but his shot went straight into the arms of goalkeeper Calum Ferrie.

Inverness had a late flurry of chances just before half time, with Nathan Shaw playing a neat one-two with Billy Mckay to get into the box, before a late challenge of William Tizzard denied him a shot on goal.

The ball eventually found its way back to Charlie Gilmour at the edge of the box, which went inches over the bar.

Shaw had another chance on the stroke of half time when a powerful effort from 20-yards-out forced Ferrie to parry away from danger as the game remained goalless.

Inverness started the second half brightly when Mckay came close when he forced a good from Ferrie.

But minutes later it was the visitors that took the lead when Thomas was allowed to charge into the box unchallenged and fired a low drive past Ridgers.

Inverness almost equalised immediately after when Cammy Kerr's free kick met the head of Samuel but his header was well saved by Ferrie.

Kerr then went close himself when he was allowed to charge into the box and forced Ferrie into a great save to tip the ball around the left post.

Inverness were unable to find an equaliser as Queen's Park held on for victory.

But due to Greenock Morton thrashing Dunfermline Athletic 5-0, Inverness move up a place to seventh, above Dunfermline, on goal difference.

Inverness: Ridgers, Harper, Kerr, Chilokoa-Mullen (Ujdur 51), Devine, Gilmour, Mckay (Pepple 74) , Anderson (McAllister 56), Shaw, Savage (Longstaff 74), Samuel.

Substitutes: Mackay, Duffy, Doran, Boyes, Brooks.

Booking: Chilokoa-Mullen (19).

Queen's Park: Ferrie, McPherson (Longridge 68), Robson, Bannon, Thomson, Paton (Crole 90), Thomas, Tizzard, Bruce (Carse 60), McKinistry (Scott 60), Turner.

Substitutes; Kane, Williamson, Reid, Mauchin, Haspell.

Booking: Scott (71)

Referee: Euan Anderson.

Attendance 1962

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More