Home   Sport   Article

Red and Blues are the Camanachd Cup Kings again

By Ali Morrison

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!
An ecstatic James Falconer lifts the Camanachd Cup at Bught Park after Kingussie's very late win. Picture: Aidan Woods.
An ecstatic James Falconer lifts the Camanachd Cup at Bught Park after Kingussie's very late win. Picture: Aidan Woods.

Kingussie retained the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup when Ruaridh Anderson’s brilliant late strike earned a 1-0 win over Oban Camanachd in the final at the Bught Park, Inverness on Saturday.

A huge crowd gathered with Kingussie relying on keeper Rory McGregor to block an effort from Daniel MacVicar with what the best chance of the first half whilst James Falconer went closest for Kingussie.

Oban Camanachd shaded the opening period but, after 6 minutes of stoppage time, the first half finished goalless.

Daniel MacVicar twice went close for Oban Camanachd during the first 15 minutes of the second half whilst Lewis Cameron and Malcolm Clark sent strikes wide of goal.

The Kingussie defence were resilient though and the Kings were always dangerous on the counter-attack with James Falconer and Ruaridh Anderson having efforts.

With extra-time looming, Kingussie made the breakthrough.

James Falconer and Calum MacKintosh were involved in the build-up before, Ruaridh Anderson sent a glorious 89-minute drive on his left side by a diving Cammy Sutherland in the Oban goal, with the ball going just inside the keeper’s left post.

It was a goal fit to win any final and the final whistle sparked celebrations amongst the Kingussie support.

Oban Camanachd skipper Daniel Sloss was awarded the Albert Smith Medal as man of the match for an outstanding display before Kingussie captain James Falconer, who battled an ankle injury to play from the bench, raised the famous trophy.

It’s a 25th Scottish success for Iain Borthwick’s side and afterwards the Kingussie manager said: “I didn’t think the goal was going to come and thought we were heading for extra-time.

"It was a great finish by Ruaridh and I’m just ecstatic.”

Match-winner Ruaridh Anderson added: “We knew it would be tough as Oban are a good side and they were unlucky. I can’t describe how this feels though. It’s unbelievable and doesn’t feel real.”

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More