Home   Sport   Article

Oban Camanachd set up Camanachd Cup final against Newtonmore

By Staff Reporter

Contribute to support quality local journalism

Oban Camanachd will face Newtonmore in the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup final at Fort William next month in a repeat of the 2016 final.

Oban capitalised on home advantage after a late switch to Mossfield Park to win their semi final 3-0 against Kyles Athletic.

After a goalless first half, Daniel Cameron slipped the ball past John Whyte in the Kyles goal from close range.

Oban Camanachd will face Newtonmore in the Camanachd Cup semi final thanks to Daniel Cameron's double. Picture: Neil Paterson
Oban Camanachd will face Newtonmore in the Camanachd Cup semi final thanks to Daniel Cameron's double. Picture: Neil Paterson

Cameron was again on target in the 70th minute to give Oban some breathing space, with Andrew MacCuish’s 89th minute strike the cherry on top.

Kyles had their chances, however stout Oban defending prevented their forwards getting on the scoresheet.

Caberfeidh’s 2-1 win over Kilmallie at Canal Park saw the Strathpeffer club distance themselves from the relegation zone.

Craig Morrison opened the scoring in the 12th minute, only for Kimallie to equalise eight minutes later through Daniel Stewart. Robbie Brindle’s goal in the 36th minute proved to be the winner.

Cabers are now five points ahead of joint-bottom sides Inveraray and Lochaber, and three points clear of eighth placed Kilmallie – with Cabers having three games in hand over all of them.

Inveraray picked up a crucial point in a 2-2 draw at home to Lovat with Greg Matheson firing an 84th minute equaliser for the Kiltarlity men.

Garry MacPherson edged Aray ahead on the half hour before Matheson brought Lovat level two minutes later. Connor Howe restored Aray’s lead however they were unable to hang on to take both points.

Newtonmore romped to a 5-1 win over Lochaber at The Eilean.

Evan Menzies notched a double in each half before Findlay MacDonald responded for the visitors in the 64th minute. Ewan Fraser added ‘More’s fifth in the 80th minute.

They now move up to third, three points off leaders Kingussie with a game in hand over their Badenoch rivals. The race for the title looks like being very intense between these two teams as the season comes to a close.

Fort William’s 7-1 demolition of second-placed Glenurquhart in the National Division meant they sealed the title in style.

Fort have won all 12 games this season, with doubles from Alexander MacMillan and Arran MacPhee backed up by Lachie Shaw, Lewis Morrison and Victor Smith.

John Barr scored for Glen, who also saw Andy Corrigon given his marching orders for dissent.

This website is powered by the generosity of readers like you.
Please donate what you can afford to help us keep our communities informed.


In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More