Home   Sport   Article

Kyles knock Lovat off Premiership summit

By Will Clark

Contribute to support quality local journalism

A Robbie MacLeod goal in the 82nd minute gave Kyles Athletic a 3–2 win over Lovat to knock them off the top of the table. Greg Matheson got Lovat off to a fine start with Grant Irvine’s goal in the 41st minute restoring parity.

Lewis Tawse edged the Kiltarlity men ahead in the 66th minute but three minutes later Thomas Whyte brought the teams level again.

Kyles’ keeper John Whyte stops an attack from Marc MacLachlan (Lovat). Picture: Neil Paterson
Kyles’ keeper John Whyte stops an attack from Marc MacLachlan (Lovat). Picture: Neil Paterson

With Lovat losing at home, Kingussie went top through a 4–1 win over Kilmallie.

Newtonmore had to fight all the way to take the points at Inveraray with first half goals from Michael Russell and Iain Robinson giving the champions a 2-1 victory to stay in fourth place on goal difference over Kinlochshiel. Gary MacPherson struck a 41st minute equaliser for the Arygll side.

At Kirkton, Kinlochshiel provided their supporters with a first half goal feast leading 7-1 at half time before easing up in the second half to win 8-2.

John MacRae was Shiel’s main marksman with a personal haul of four with the other first half scorers being Ally Nixon, Duncan Matheson and Keith MacRae with Stuart Callison netting for the Spean Bridge outfit. Finlay MacDonald grabbed Lochaber’s second with Keith MacRae notching his second of the day in the 78th minute.

In a close encounter at Mossfield Park, Oban Camanachd did just enough to take the spoils through a 4-3 win over Caberfeidh. Oban took a 3-0 first half lead through Daniel Cameron and a Daniel MacCuish double before Cabers reduced the deficit to a single goal through Robbie Brindle and Jamie MacKintosh.

Andrew MacCuish added to Oban’s lead in the 53rd minute, however Cabers showed their fighting qualities and Kenneth MacKenzie’s goal 10 minutes later set up an exciting finish to proceedings.

Beauly proved too strong for North Division One opponents Inverness winning by a 3-1 scoreline to progress to the second round of the Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup. Jack MacDonald and Colin MacDonald saw Beauly 2-0 ahead inside 20 minutes however Inverness keeper James Cameron kept his side in the game and the city side got their reward when Thomas Lewis reduced the deficit in the 67th minute. A Calum Morrison strike in the 79th minute clinched the tie for the home side.

In the draw for the second round made on Monday, Beauly face Kingussie at The Dell.

At Cannich, Strathglass went down 6-3 to Oban Celtic. Ally MacKerracher opened for Celtic with Scott Douglas equalising from the penalty spot in the 18th minute. MacKerracher struck again followed by an Andy MacDonald goal just before the break to edge the visitors in to a 3-1 lead.

Douglas gave Strath hope with his second of the game in the 49th minute however Celtic responded almost immediately through MacKerracher to complete his hat trick. A Ross MacMillan double took Celtic’s tally to six before substitute Steven Hyslop pulled a goal back for Strath in the 75th minute. Celtic’s reward is a trip to Portree to face Skye.

This website is powered by the generosity of readers like you.
Please donate what you can afford to help us keep our communities informed.


In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More