Home   Sport   Article

Lovat's title hopes dealt blow as Kingussie extend lead

By Staff Reporter

Contribute to support quality local journalism

Kingussie scored a 2-1 win over Kyles Athletic last weekend to keep them at the top of the Mowi Premiership.

Savio Genini scored what would turn out to be the decisive goal for Kingussie. Pictures: Neil Paterson
Savio Genini scored what would turn out to be the decisive goal for Kingussie. Pictures: Neil Paterson

Roddy Young opened the home team’s scoring, with Savio Genini adding a second just after the break. Kyles managed to pull a goal back through Robbie MacLeod in the 64th minute, but they were unable to add to this to prevent Kings taking full points.

Newtonmore remain two points adrift of their Badenoch rivals after edging a 3-2 win over Kilmallie at Canal Park, but they have moved into second place thanks to Lovat dropping points away to Kinlochshiel.

’More’s Iain Robinson fired the only goal of the first half and later got his second, before Ewan Fraser notched their third.

Kilmallie showed their character and within a minute Liam Cameron struck to give them hope with Innes Blackhall’s goal in the final minute reducing the final deficit to a single goal.

Lovat’s title hopes were dealt a crushing blow when they lost their second league game in succession with John MacRae’s 25th minute goal earning Kinlochshiel a 1-0 win at Kirkton to take Johnston Gill’s men in to fifth place.

Caberfeidh stormed to an 8-1 victory over Lochaber, elevating the Strathpeffer club in to seventh place.

Although the visitors got off to a fine start through a Stuart Callison goal after only four minutes, their good fortune soon deserted them and doubles from Kevin Bartlett and Craig Morrison took Cabers in to a 4-1 interval lead. Bartlett and Morrison both went on to complete their hat tricks with Jamie MacKintosh and Ryan MacKay also getting their names on the score sheet.

Kevin Bartlett (right) scored one of two hat tricks as Caberfeidh thrashed Lochaber 8-1.
Kevin Bartlett (right) scored one of two hat tricks as Caberfeidh thrashed Lochaber 8-1.

Oban Camanachd move up to fourth spot after their 4-1 win over Argyll rivals Inveraray at The Winterton. Daniel MacCuish’s opener was followed by Andrew MacCuish’s penalty in the 23rd minute, and the same player netted again four minutes later.

Inveraray’s response came through Allan MacDonald, before Daniel MacCuish grabbed his second of the game in the closing stages.

A 2-1 derby win over Beauly at Braeview Park saw Glenurquhart close the gap on National Division leaders Fort William to three points.

Jack MacDonald gave Beauly a 15th minute lead which was quickly erased by Neale Reid. Connor Golabek’s 39th minute goal proved to be Glen’s winner.

Skye elevate themselves in to third place after an impressive 5-1 win over Strathglass at Cannich. John Gilles fired the islanders in to the lead after only two minutes followed by a Ross Gordon goal in the 19th minute. Strath responded through Darren Reid and had the chance to go level when they were awarded a penalty however Lewis Douglas’ spot hit was saved by Skye keeper Ryan Morrison.

Further misery was piled on Strath when Douglas was sent off shortly afterwards by referee John Wood for a reckless swing. Gillies increased the visitors’ lead early in the second half with Gordon netting again in the 59th and 69th minutes to complete his hat trick.

Fort William set up a Liberty British Aluminium Balliemore Cup semi final clash with Glenurquhart after a strong second half showing saw them add four goals to win 6-0 over Bute at The Meadows.

Alexander MacMillan and Arran MacPhee were Fort’s first half marksmen before three rapid fire goals from Jack Fraser, Lachie Shaw and Victor Smith put Fort out of sight inside the hour mark. Fraser added his second in the closing minutes.

Glasgow Mid Argyll as expected accounted for South Division One hosts Taynuilt. In a 4-0 win, first half strikes from Garry Luke and Iain Luke were added to by Calum McLay’s double. The home team had Jamie MacFarlane red carded by referee Deek Cameron. GMA will now face Strathglass in the semi final.

There were goals a plenty in North Division One with no less than 36 goals being struck across the five scheduled matches. Glengarry were the highest scorers with an 11-1 home win over Aberdeen University to take them in to top spot on goal difference alongside Lovat who romped to an 8-0 win over Kinlochshiel at Balgate.

Inverness were 6-0 victors over Glenurquhart at Drumnadrochit whilst Fort William relinquished their leaders tag after going down 4-2 at Newtonmore. In the remaining match in this Division, Skye defeated Caberfeidh 3-1 in Portree.

In North Division Two, leaders Lochcarron lost 4-1 away to Strathspey however remain two points ahead of the Grantown side who have a game in hand. Kilmallie were 2-1 winners over Boleskine at Canal Park whilst Lewis were awarded the points after Inverness failed to raise a team to travel to the Western Isles.

This website is powered by the generosity of readers like you.
Please donate what you can afford to help us keep our communities informed.


In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More