Home   Sport   Article

Great Glen too hot for Kilmallie

By SPP Reporter

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

GLENURQUHART’S rich vein of form continued with an emphatic 5-1 Premier League home win over Kilmallie on Saturday to make their points tally from their last three matches to five.

Ruaridh Cameron and former Lovat man Calum MacAulay struck to give Glen a 2-0 lead at the break before Liam MacDonald responded for Kilmallie.

Cameron and MacAulay both notched their second goals of the match to send Glen on the road to victory, with Neale Reid adding a fifth.

Any doubts that Kyles Athletic could not be regarded as serious title contenders were dispelled on Saturday when a 3-2 victory over Fort William made it a fifth win on the trot for the Tighnabruaich men and increases their lead at the top of the table to four points.

Kyles took the lead through Duncan Kerr, but Fort were quickly on level terms through a John MacLeod strike. Goals from Tom Whyte and Grant Irvine took Kyles in to the clubhouse 3-1 ahead and, although Gary Innes reduced the deficit early in the second half, Fort were unable to equalise.

The Badenoch derby at The Eilean finished all square, with Paul Gow’s 84th minute equaliser giving Kingussie a share of the points in a 2-2 draw with arch rivals Newtonmore.

Craig Dawson had given Kings the lead midway through the first half before two second half counters from Glen MacKintosh edged More in front. Newtonmore midfielder Paul MacArthur received his marching orders in the closing stages from referee Graham Cameron.

Lovat’s first win of the season sees them leapfrog Kilmallie in the relegation zone, with teenager Greg Matheson firing four of his team’s goals in their 6-0 rout over basement side Glenorchy at Balgate.

Matheson’s first half hat-trick was added to by Craig Mainland and Lewis Tawse before 2009 national under-17 player-of-the-year Matheson grabbed his fourth late on.

In the Argyll derby at Mossfield Park, Inveraray emerged victorious by a 3-1 margin, with their goals coming through a Grant Griffin double and Russell MacKinlay. Daniel MacKinnon was the home scorer.

There was nothing to separate Strathglass and Skye in their first round Balliemore Cup encounter at Cannich, with a penalty shoot-out required to determine the victor.

The islanders advanced after a 3-2 win on penalties with the teams finishing level at 2-2 at the end of extra-time. Alan Palmer had given Skye a first half lead, with Robert Geddes levelling for Strath. Robbie MacDougall nudged the visitors ahead, with Geddes equalising immediately after the restart.

Inverness had no answer for a rampant Lochaber at the Bught where the Spean Bridge team eased through with an 8-0 victory. Ben Delaney claimed a hat trick whilst Shaun Nicolson netted a double. Also on target were Lachie Campbell, Stuart Callison and Brian MacDonald.

Ballachulish and Bute, who received a first round bye, are the only South area teams in the quarter-finals of the competition. Balla defeated fellow South Division One team Glasgow Mid Argyll 3-1 at Jubilee Park, with a Duncan MacDonald double following on from Gary Young’s opener.

Lochcarron were 2-0 winners at Taynuilt and Kinlochshiel cruised through to the quarter-finals with a 7-1 win away to Kilmory. Finlay MacRae bagged a hat-trick, with Shiel’s other marksmen being Neil Fraser with a double, Keith MacRae and Gordon MacDonald.

Caberfeidh go through to the next round with a walkover victory after Oban Celtic failed to raise a team.

In the Aberdein Considine Sutherland Cup, 2010 runners-up Glenurquhart won 4-3 against Newtonmore, whilst 2009 winners Fort William went down 5-3 after extra time at Skye.

In other extra-time thrillers, Beauly remained in the competition thanks to a 5-4 success at Lochcarron, whilst Kingussie came through courtesy of a 5-3 home win over Strachur.

Inverness held firm at the Bught for 43 minutes before going down 7-1 to Lochaber, with Alan Knox hitting four. At Craigard Park, Steven Cameron netted five in Glengarry’s 9-0 rout of Bute.

Caberfeidh defeated fellow North Division Three outfit Boleskine 3-0, with Oban’s Lochside Rovers engineering the exit of Kilmallie with a 5-1. Also taking up their place in the second round are Inveraray after a 3-1 win at Col Glen, and Tayforth who defeated Taynuilt 2-0.

Kinlochshiel beat Lovat 7-1 in the sole North Division Two fixture, whilst Strathglass defeated Ardnamurchan 4-3 in North Division Three.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More