Home   Sport   Article

Camanachd Cup finalists decided

By SPP Reporter

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!
Rory Kennedy (Newtonmore) is tackled by Chris Crawford (Inveraray)
Rory Kennedy (Newtonmore) is tackled by Chris Crawford (Inveraray)

The win, achieved courtesy of Greg Matheson’s 58th minute goal, moves the Kiltarlity side two places up the table ahead of Inveraray and Oban, with just three games left to play.

Glenurquhart’s tie with Glenorchy was postponed after the Mart pitch was ruled unplayable after heavy midweek rain.

Newtonmore and Kingussie will contest this year’s Scottish Hydro Camanachd Cup after they both enjoyed resounding victories in Saturday’s semi-finals.

Despite fears the Spean Bridge pitch would be too rain-affected to take both matches, it was given the green light after a Saturday morning pitch inspection.

Newtonmore’s long-suffering fans were elated with their side’s 5-2 win over Inveraray, but they were put through an emotional rollercoaster before the team clinched victory in extra-time.

Inveraray held a 2-1 advantage going into the final stages of the match after Glen MacKintosh had his goal cancelled out by Russell MacKinlay’s brace.

In an explosive final 15 minutes, Newtonmore drew level courtesy of a strike from substitute David Cheyne, who was shown a red card minutes later for a foul on Inveraray full back Scott Robertson.

Newtonmore found the resolve in extra-time to drag themselves over the line with MacKintosh completing his hat-trick to round off the victory, while Steven MacDonald was also on target. Inveraray’s hopes evaporated when Ewan MacMurdo was dismissed for a second bookable offence in the 104th minute.

Kingussie hammered Kilmallie 6-0 in the other tie, with Ronald Ross hitting four. Craig Dawson and Fraser Munro were the other Kingussie scorers.

In the Marine Harvest leagues, Kinlochshiel are a point away from reaching shinty’s top flight after their 10-0 success over bottom club Strathglass.

Glenurquhart relinquished the Strathdearn Cup after losing 10-1 to Glengarry in the semi-finals. Newtonmore reached the final with a 3-2 win over Fort William.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More