Home   Sport   Article

Inverness Caley Thistle left deflated by Ayr United as they remain in the relegation zone

By Will Clark

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

Cammy Kerr. Picture: James Mackenzie.
Cammy Kerr. Picture: James Mackenzie.

Scottish Championship

Inverness Caledonian Thistle 1

Ayr United 2

Scorers - Inverness: Mckay (45) Ayr: Stanger (5) Bryden (61)

Inverness Caledonian Thistle remain in the relegation zone as they fell to defeat against Ayr United at the Caledonian Stadium.

George Stanger gave Ayr United the lead after three minutes of the match, but Billy Mckay levelled just before half time from the penalty spot.

Ayr retook the lead on the hour mark with a tap-in from Fraser Bryden and held on for victory.

Inverness remain eight points ahead of bottom placed Arbroath who were thrashed 5-2 at Airdrieonians.

But they are two points behind Queen's Park in eighth as Inverness remain in the relegation zone.

Inverness almost took the lead within the opening minutes when a blocked shot from James Carragher fell kindly to Max Anderson 12 yards out.

His low drive was tipped around the right post by Josh Clark.

But Ayr responded immediately and took the lead in the fifth minute when Harry McHugh's cross from the left wing found Stanger unchallenged in the six-yard box to tap home.

Caley Thistle responded and came close to levelling when Cammy Kerr's free-kick into the box found Alex Samuel who volleyed the ball just over the bar.

Ayr came close to doubling advantage when McHugh saw a thunderous drive from 20-yards put inches over the bar.

But Inverness levelled just before half time when they were awarded a penalty when Mckay, who latched on to a pass from Lawal, was brought down by McHugh.

The striker kept his composure to send goalkeeper Josh Clark the wrong way to level the game.

However, Ayr United took the lead just after the hour mark as Anton Dowds' cross from the right wing went into the six-yard box to find Bryden who was left with a tap-in.

Ayr had a great chance to make it 3-1 with 10 minutes remain in a counter attack when Jamie Murphy only had the goalkeeper to beat.

But Ridgers pulled off a great save to palm the ball away from the left corner to keep them in the game.

However, Inverness didn't threaten an equaliser as Ayr held on for all three points.

Inverness: Ridgers, Duffy, Harper, Kerr, Devine, Mckay, Anderson, Carragher (Doran 69), Savage, Samuel, Lawal (Pepple 69).

Substitutions (Unused): Mackay, Samuels, Boyes, Brooks.

Ayr: Clarke, McAllister, Musonda, Willoughby (Murphy 62), Stanger, Dowds, Syla, McHugh, McKenzie, Sanders, Bryden (Amartey 69).

Substitutions (Unused): Albinson, McGinty, Dempsey, McGeady, Chalmers, Tomlinson, McGinley.

Referee: Iain Snedden

Attendance 1979

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More