Home   News   Article

Tribute to 'doting, warm-hearted and unfailingly dependable' great-grandfather who died following attack in Elgin wood

By Staff Reporter

Contribute to support quality local journalism

Frank Kinnis.
Frank Kinnis.

AN emotional tribute has been paid to an 83-year-old great-grandfather who was killed following an incident in New Elgin on Monday morning.

A 35-year-old man has been arrested and charged in connection with the death of 83-year-old Frank Kinnis.

Another couple walking in Birkenhill Woods around 9am, both aged 70, suffered serious head injuries and remain in a stable condition in hospital.

The alleged attacker is due to appear at Elgin Sheriff Court today.

Mr Kinnis’s family issued a statement through police.

“We are mourning the loss of our beloved husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather.

“He was a doting, warm-hearted and unfailingly dependable presence in each of our lives. There will also be fond memories of him among the farming and bowls communities in Elgin, where he was well known and liked.

“We will fondly remember him as he was in life, and ask everyone who knew him to make certain that it is these memories of him that endure. While the police continue the investigation, we kindly ask that our privacy be respected.”

Superintendent Kate Stephen addressed the media yesterday afternoon close to the scene of the attack.

She said that Mr Kinnis and the other couple had been walking in the area at the time.

She confirmed: "A 35-year-old man has been arrested in connection with these incidents and has now been charged therefore we are unable to speculate or answer questions regarding the circumstances."

However, she tried to reassure the community: "Given how incredibly rare and unusual this incident is for such a well-used and loved area, officers will be carrying out additional patrols here and providing an increased presence over the coming days.

"Please approach any our officers if you have information, or even if you just want to speak to someone about your concerns.

"I am acutely aware of the impact this incident has had on the local community, and I include in that my own officers who not only work in the area but many of whom also live in the communities.

"Moray prides itself on being one of the safest places to live which makes this incident all the more tragic."

Mr Kinnis died later on Monday at Dr Gray's Hospital in Elgin.

Supt Stephen said: "The couple sustained serious head injuries and remain in a stable condition. Our priority at this point remains ensuring that they receive the best possible care as well as supporting the families of all those involved at this extremely difficult time."

Related article: Pensioner dies after attack in Elgin wood – man (35) arrested

This website is powered by the generosity of readers like you.
Please donate what you can afford to help us keep our communities informed.


In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More