Home   News   Article

RENEE AND ANDREW MACRAE: 'No evidence' mother or son are alive, murder trial at High Court in Inverness is told

By Ali Morrison

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!
The Inverness Justice Centre. Picture: Gary Anthony.
The Inverness Justice Centre. Picture: Gary Anthony.

THE trial over the murders of Renee and Andrew Macrae today heard that there is 'no evidence' that either are still alive – and that more than 100 reported sightings have all been eliminated.

The High Court in Inverness heard that Detective Constable Martin Murphy was tasked with compiling a comprehensive Proof of Life report based upon investigations carried out by him and colleagues in the most recent re-investigation.

He concluded after checks with HMRC, Pensions, DVLA, passport office and banks as there was no evidence of either Mrs MacRae or Andrew having been in contact, they were both dead.

Mr Murphy confirmed to Mr McAra that there were 123 reported sightings of Mrs MacRae alive since November 12, 1976 but all were eliminated.

These were in locations like Zurich, Portpatrick, Kyle, Portsmouth and Aberdeen.

Some included a similar mother and child with a man with a Mexican moustache.

The court heard previously that police had devoted resources early in the initial enquiry to looking for such an individual and created a photo-fit.

The senior investigating officer, Det. Chief Inspector Brian Geddes said they had been investigated and ruled out.

Read More: RENEE AND ANDREW MACRAE: Murder suspect 'confessed' to killing duo – before immediate retraction

Mr McAra raised the matter again and had Mr Murphy read out several sections of statements and police log book entries referring to the mystery man.

Mr Murphy again confirmed they had either been ruled out without enquiry or eliminated after checking.

A forensic scientist of 32 years experience and an expert in blood splatter, Christopher Gannicliffe, was the final Crown witness.

He said the blood deposit in Mrs MacRae's BMW boot could have been caused by someone receiving a blow to the head and falling partly into the boot.

"That is one explanation." he added.

Asked if it could have come from a bleeding nose, he said the 8ml of blood or one and a half teaspoons would have required 150 drips.

Asked by Mr McAra if he could tell when it was caused. He agreed he couldn't tell and that it could have been much earlier.

The trial before Lord Armstrong continues.

View our fact sheet on court reporting here

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More