Home   News   Article

Fate of Ironworks concert venue in Inverness will be decided by Highland Council in three months


By Staff Reporter

Get a digital copy of the Inverness Courier delivered straight to your mobile or tablet every week



The Ironworks music venue in Inverness. Picture: Gary Anthony.
The Ironworks music venue in Inverness. Picture: Gary Anthony.

A DECISION over the future of Inverness music and entertainment venue The Ironworks could be taken in November.

On Wednesday, members of Highland Council’s south planning applications committee discussed a proposal of application notice (PAN) submitted by Bricks Capital, proposing the building of a 162-bedroom hotel in the city centre.

However, as the Courier previously reported, if the application is successful it could see the Ironworks demolished to make way for the new development.

At Wednesday’s meeting, Inverness Central councillor Richard Laird said: “I would also like to hear how the proposal here, with the suggestion of demolishing the Ironworks music venue, sits with the city centre development briefs with stated priorities making this city not just a place to visit, but a great place to live.”

Inverness South councillor Andrew Jarvie added: “With this one, obviously there has been a huge amount of public emotion about the demolition of the Ironworks, which is a fairly important city centre venue.”

Speaking after the meeting, a spokesman for London-based Bricks Capital said: “The planning application will not be considered until November – it is still at the pre-planning stage.”



Having trouble getting out to pick up your weekly newspaper?

Get a digital copy of the Inverness Courier delivered straight to your inbox every week and read the full newspaper on your desktop, phone or laptop.

SUBSCRIBE NOW


This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More
');