Home   News   Article

Inverness salon launches crowdfunder to help man after house fire destroys all he owns

By Val Sweeney

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!
John ‘Boy’ MacPhee lost everything in the fire at St Valery Avenue, Dalneigh.
John ‘Boy’ MacPhee lost everything in the fire at St Valery Avenue, Dalneigh.

An Inverness salon has launched a fundraising campaign to help a city resident after he lost all his possessions in a house blaze.

John ‘Boy’ MacPhee leapt to safety from an upper floor bedroom window after flames engulfed his home in St Valery Avenue, Dalneigh, last week.

Timeless Salon, where his niece works, launched a GoFundMe campaign with an initial £300 target to help John start to rebuild his life.

It is due to close later today but so far it has raised more than £1300.

The fundraising page states: "John is the uncle of one of our cherished team members within the salon, and we were devastated to learn about the awful incident that occurred to his home.

"Please donate what you can to help him rebuild."

Salon owner Caoimhe Simpson said she and her team have been overwhelmed by the public response.

"Inverness is an incredible community," she said.

Miss Simpson, who owns two salons on Market Brae Steps, recalled first hearing about the fire.

"I think everybody in and around Inverness looking on social media saw this awful fire had taken place," she said.

"I remember seeing it myself and thinking how awful it was, just after Christmas.

"This was even before I knew it was the uncle of one of our team members who has been with us a few months.

"When she said it was her uncle's house, as a team we were horrified and genuinely upset for them.

"I cannot begin to fathom going through that as a family."

The salon quickly decided to do something to help and started a raffle but as more offers of support came in, Miss Simpson decided to set up a crowdfunding page for people to give donations.

"It was amazing to see how quickly the Inverness community wanted to pull together and help someone out," she said.

"I think it shows how strong a community Inverness is and also that we are a very welcoming and warm community which wants to help each other."

Firefighters tackle the blaze at the property in St Valery Avenue, Dalneigh.
Firefighters tackle the blaze at the property in St Valery Avenue, Dalneigh.

Police have confirmed there was no criminality involved in a blaze last Thursday morning.

Flames first engulfed the council property before 6am.

Firefighters extinguished the fire but had to return to the scene after it took hold for a second time.

Mr MacPhee, who escaped by leaping from an upper floor window, was treated at the scene but did not need to be taken to hospital.

Brian Duncan (61), who has run Dalneigh Stores for the past 12 years, drove to the scene of the blaze near the junction with Bruce Gardens after smelling smoke in the air as he opened up for business at 5.30 am.

His quick-thinking actions helped neighbours safely evacuate their homes.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More