'Free beer' plea for volunteers to help with Loch Ness 360 Challenge event
Easier access to your trusted, local news. Subscribe to a digital package and support local news publishing.
A new running and biking endurance event is offering a free beer and food to anybody who can lend a hand to help it run smoothly.
Volunteers are needed for the inaugural Loch Ness 360 Challenge which is set to take place next month.
Visit Inverness Loch Ness (VILN) says more helpers are needed to ensure that everyone involved has a safe and enjoyable time at the event, which involves three separate challenges.
A mountain bike race will see riders make a loop of the loch on the Great Glen Way and South Loch Ness Trail, while ultrarunners will follow a similar route in a 24-hour bid to complete the circuit.
Runners are also offered the chance to run three marathons in three days around Loch Ness – or just pick one or two of the marathons.
The event takes place from Friday, May 20 to Sunday, May 22, and the following volunteer positions are available:
- Car parking assistance at the event hub in Dores on Saturday, May 21, from around 1pm;
- Registration for events from 4pm to 9pm on the Saturday and 4am to 5am on the Sunday;
- Marshalling/check point duties at key points out on the event routes. These will be split into ‘Night Owls’ and ‘Early Birds’ – the Night Owl shifts will be from 10pm on Saturday, and the Early Birds shifts will be from around 4am Sunday morning. The exact timings will depend on the route location, but the recommended shifts would be six hours;
- Finish support – handing out medals, checking in with vendors;
- Waste assistance – picking up any litter on the course, from aid stations and within the hub at Dores.
Organisers are also calling on all the communities around the loch to come out to support the athletes during the weekend.
VILN is offering volunteers who sign up a goodie bag, treats throughout the day, a free beer, some free food from one of the vendors at the Dores hub and discount off drinks at Penta Hotels.
For more information or to volunteer, visit https://lochness360.com/lochnesschallenge/volunteers-loch-ness-challenge-2022 or email firstname.lastname@example.org