Home   News   Article

Curfew for former champion boxer after serious violence in Inverness

By Ali Morrison

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!
The Inverness Justice Centre locator..Sign is up on the new building on Longman Road...Inverness Justice Centre locator.Picture: SPP. Image No. ..
The Inverness Justice Centre locator..Sign is up on the new building on Longman Road...Inverness Justice Centre locator.Picture: SPP. Image No. ..

A former teenage champion boxer carried out a series of vicious unprovoked attacks against three men, knocking one unconscious and biting another's ear to his severe injury and permanent disfigurement.

But 21-year-old Darrell Russell, who represented Scotland, took part in televised bouts and had dreams of going to the Olympics, came very close to going to prison for the assaults.

Instead, at Inverness Sheriff Court, he was sentenced to 270 hours of unpaid community work and has to wear an electronic tag confining him to his home between 7pm and 4am for the next 10 months. He was also placed under three years of social work supervision by Sheriff Sara Matheson.

The first occurred in Nairn's High Street on April 23, 2021 when he encountered a man he did not know and for no apparent reason, repeatedly punched him on the head and body, knocking him to the ground where he seized him by the neck.

Russell, of Woodlands Park, Westhill, Inverness then repeatedly kicked and stamped him on the head and body, rendering him unconscious.

The other two assaults took place more than 18 months later on November 27, 2022 in Lombard Street, Inverness when his victim was again someone he had no issue with, Inverness Sheriff Court heard.

He also repeatedly punched him on the head and body, and repeatedly kicked him on the head and body, while he was on bail for the first attack.

The third came on the same evening in Castle Street at Sobar when he struck his third victim on the body, pushed him to the floor and then bit his ear.

He admitted all three.

His solicitor Graham Mann pleaded with the sheriff not to jail his client and referred to the social background report which had previously been ordered.

He said: "There is no real explanation for these. They were unprovoked incidents of violence. He and other members of his family were having a difficult time.

"He suffered from the loss of a close member of the family and it coincided with the few weeks before the later incidents. The coping mechanism for him was drink and drugs. He is now medicated and receiving help."

Mr Mann asked the sheriff not to impose a custodial sentence and give Russell a chance.

The sheriff replied: "The problem is he was on bail at the time from April and then he goes out and does it again. It is serious violence. The whole thing is heartbreaking – his poor parents."

Russell's mother and another family member were in court to see her decision and the sheriff said she had to take further time to consider her sentence because "it is significant for you and your family's future".

When she returned, she stopped short of jailing the athlete but imposed the restriction of liberty order.

She told him: "It will keep you out of areas of drinking which has got you into trouble and will protect the public. It is very possible you could have gone to jail today. But I hope you can get on with your life as you are a person of promise."

View our fact sheet on court reporting here

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More