Home   News   Article

99–year–old man rescued from first floor flat in Nairn after horror incident when his dressing gown was set alight


By Donald Wilson

Get the Inverness Courier sent to your inbox every week and swipe through an exact replica of the day's newspaper



Man aged 99 rescued from house fire in Nairn.
Man aged 99 rescued from house fire in Nairn.

A 99-year-old retired forester was rescued from his first floor flat in Nairn when his dressing gown burst into flames, this afternoon.

Duncan Green was carried downstairs from the flat in Merryton Crescent and treated in his garden by firefighters before an ambulance arrived.

Next door neighbour John Urquhart said he heard this neighbour's fire alarm and heard Mr Green shouting for help from the window.

Mr Green senior was in the kitchen, when his dressing gown was set alight shortly after 3pm.

Mr Urquhart said: "I tried the door, which is on the ground floor. But he's an elderly man living alone and keeps it locked. I immediately phoned the fire brigade, then got his son's number from another neighbour and called him.

"His son was down here within seconds. He had a key and got in before the fire brigade arrived. I just hope he's OK he's a lovely neighbour who is amazing for his age and is always in his garden."

Mr Green's son Johnny said: "I got the call from John and raced down. Dad was shouting 'help' from an upstairs window. I got upstairs and his dressing room was on fire in the kitchen. He was able to tell me what had happened. I think he'll be OK. He had put on a pan of soup and stretched over the cooker and his dressing gown ignited."

Mr Green said the firemen carried his dad downstairs. "The dressing gown kept igniting. The firemen did a great job. I opened all the windows to let the smoke out."

"He's as tough as nails. I'm sure he'll be OK. He'd better be – because he's 100 in November."

Mr Green has lived in the flat which is in a block of four, for many years.

Concerned neighbours watched as the crews of two fire appliances attended and checked neighbouring properties.

He was taken to hospital by ambulance for treatment to his injuries.

Until recently he was still using his bike and he kept active in his garden where he created a copse of trees which he grew from saplings.

A spokeswoman for Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: "We have been in attendance at a fire in Merryton Crescent in Nairn.

"We were called at 3.05pm, two appliances were in attendance.

"We received a stop message at 3.30pm. The fire was in a top floor flat and firefighters are now making checks in neighbouring properties to make sure there are was no spread of the fire to other households."

Mr Green's flat suffered smoke damage, mainly in the kitchen area.

Read more: Emergency services called to a fire in top floor flat in Nairn


Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.


Get a digital copy of the Inverness Courier delivered straight to your inbox every week allowing you to swipe through an exact replica of the day's newspaper - it looks just like it does in print!

SUBSCRIBE NOW


This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More
');