Recipe of the week: Lasagne
Contribute to support quality local journalism
Using lean minced beef, lamb or pork will help reduce the saturated fat and calories in the lasagne.
Include fibrous vegetables such as mushrooms and peas and use wholemeal lasagne sheets to increase the fibre content which will help make the meal more filling and take longer to digest. You could also add in some flavoursome seasonal veg such as asparagus and serve the lasagne along with spring greens or a watercress salad.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
4 rashers smoked streaky bacon, chopped
250g pork mince
500g Scotch Beef mince
2 cans chopped tomatoes
300ml red wine
2 bay leaves
375g packet dried lasagne sheets
500g jar white béchamel sauce
220g ball mozzarella, drained and roughly torn
2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
1. Heat the oil in large pan and cook the onion, garlic, celery and bacon over a fairly high heat until nicely browned.
2. Add the pork and beef and continue to cook the meat to seal it all over.
3. Add the tomatoes, wine and bay leaves. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
4. Heat the oven to 190C, gas mark 5. Spread a third of the sauce into a large baking dish and top with a layer of lasagne. Add a little white sauce and some mozzarella then continue to layer up to make three layers finishing with the lasagne topped with white sauce. Scatter over the remaining mozzarella and sprinkle evenly with Parmesan.
5. Sit the lasagne on a baking sheet and cook for 45 minutes, covering with foil once the top is nicely browned. Leave to sit for a few minutes before serving.
6. Serve with a crispy green salad.
For a range of Scotch Beef PGI, Scotch Lamb PGI and Specially Selected Pork recipes, visit the QMS consumer-focused website www.scotchkitchen.com or Scotch Kitchen on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
This website is powered by the generosity of readers like you. BECOME A SUPPORTER
Please donate what you can afford to help us keep our communities informed.
In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.