Mother's Day presents all wrapped up
Easier access to your trusted, local news. Have a look at our brand new digital subscription packages!
Whether she’s a practical tool type, wants to grow exotic plants, or would simply like a whiff of floral pampering, now’s the time to choose a gift for your gardening mum for Mother’s Day.
Here are some ideas to give you inspiration.
1. Sophie Conran spade and fork (£39.99 each, Burgon & Ball, burgonandball.com)
This sturdy new fork and spade designed by Sophie Conran, are slightly smaller and lighter than others, but no less robust. With heads made from mirrored polished stainless steel and the shaft from ash, they should last for years – and come with a 10-year guarantee.
2. Fiskars X-Series PowerGear Bypass Pruner (£34.99, Newgate Nurseries, newgatedirect.co.uk)
A new pair of secateurs should be just the job for spring pruning, and these new ones from Fiskars can cut through the toughest fresh twigs and bushes easily. With an ergonomic handle design, they should also make the job more comfortable.
3. Burgon & Ball RHS British Meadow Gift Boxed pruner and holster (£19.99, Squires Garden Centres, in-store, squiresgardencentres.co.uk)
This pretty new blue floral design adorning a variety of Burgon & Ball accessories, from gloves to small watering cans and kneelers, celebrates native meadow flowers and butterflies, inspired by illustrations dating back to 1815 from the RHS Lindley Library. The pruner and holster gift set would make a great present for Mother’s Day.
4. Jonny’s Sister personalised gardening apron (£20, amazon.co.uk/handmade)
This beautiful personalised gardening apron will keep the mud off and hold all your mum’s knick-knacks, including secateurs, gardening string and plant labels, while she works.
5. Ouwegaga Floral Airpods case cover (£9,99, amazon.co.uk)
For the mum who loves to listen to music or podcasts while she’s gardening, treat her to this pretty floral Airpods case cover, which comes with a keychain so she won’t lose it.
6. Personalised Hands Off ceramic travel mug (£19.99, Dobbies Garden Centres, dobbies.com/gifts)
If your mum loves a cuppa on the go, get her this stylish ceramic travel mug inscribed with her name and her favourite drink.
7. Personalised pink leather gardening gloves (£49.99, Dobbies Garden Centres, dobbies.com/gifts)
Handmade in the UK, these luxurious but robust leather and suede gloves will protect the hands of the most ardent gardener, and you can also have them personalised for your mum.
8. Clouds and Currents Gardener’s seed storage box (£40, Not On The High Street, notonthehighstreet.com)
This pretty wooden box with your mum’s name inscribed on it should help her keep her seeds in order, so she’s not hunting for that elusive packet of veggies she’s been meaning to sow this spring. It comes with four wooden dividers: ‘Veg’, ‘Herbs’, ‘Flowers’ and one left blank for you to personalise yourself.
9. Mirrored plant markers (£17.99, Getting Personal, gettingpersonal.co.uk)
Love this set of four mirrored plant markers available in gold, silver or bronze, which will not only help your mum remember what she’s planted, but also add pizazz to any pot. They can be etched with a message, up to 20 characters, to make the gift really personal.
10. Mini year-round veg patch experience (£99, Rocket Gardens, rocketgardens.co.uk)
Is your mum a veg grower with a small garden? If so, you could gift her a subscription to a mini veg patch, where she’ll receive three deliveries throughout the year (May, June, September), containing a variety of plug plants to pop into the veg patch, along with a growing guide. It’s designed to fit into two standard raised beds and grow bags, so is ideal for small spaces.
11. Butterfly Garden Clogs Backdoorshoes (£31.95, backdoorshoes.co.uk)
Never will your mum have to venture out in her slippers again when she has a pair of butterfly-clad Backdoorshoes. The waterproof gardening clogs are springy and comfortable and now have a pretty new butterfly design added to the collection.
12. Garden Selections’ Wildlife set for birds, bees and squirrels (£19.99, Not On The High Street, notonthehighstreet.com)
Ideal for the mum who wants to attract more wildlife into her garden, this set of three rustic-looking boxes (top) should hopefully lure birds, bees and squirrels to her plot.
13. Prayer plant and pink pot (£24.99, Beards & Daisies, beardsanddaisies.co.uk)
For the houseplant lover, this gorgeous prayer plant with striking red veins and pink undersides should be a showstopper, and comes in a perfectly fitting pink pot. It’s extra interesting because its leaves fold together at night as if in prayer, hence the name.
14. Extra lemon crate (£58, The Gluttonous Gardener, glut.co.uk)
Give your mum a taste of the Mediterranean with this citrus treat comprising a lemon tree in a pot, a jar of mouthwatering lemon curd and another of lemon and honey marmalade, all arriving in a crate that can be reused. The tree is best grown indoors either in a conservatory or greenhouse, but can go outdoors in the summer.
15. Myrte mug set (£19.99 – was £24.95, CJ Wildlife, birdfood.co.uk)
Bird-lovers should adore this set of five porcelain mugs featuring illustrations of birds including a kingfisher, a nuthatch, a great tit, crested tit and pair of long-tailed tits, by Dutch nature artist Myrte.
16. Squirrel Buster nut and nibble feeder (£49.99, rspb.org.uk)
However, if mum is fed up with shooing the squirrels away from her bird feeders, it’s time you splash out on this allegedly 100% squirrel-proof feeder which is weighted so when pesky squirrels or fat pigeons jump on it, the metal shutters will come down to stop them from eating the peanuts and suet nibbles.
17. Liberty Lavender drawer scents: Bird In The Hand (£18, RHS, shop.rhs.org.uk)
These delightful drawer scents made from a Liberty Tana Lawn fabric in the shape of birds will bring the heady fragrance of lavender from Provence into your mum’s linen cupboards, and come beautifully packaged in a stylish box.
18. Scarlet Poppy Cologne Intense (£86 for 50ml, Jo Malone London, jomalone.co.uk)
This intense new fragrance is inspired by the poppy’s rich red blooms and enhanced by iris, barley and tonka bean, to make it every bit as sweet as your mum.
19. Terrace Smart Greenhouse (£640-£680, Harvst, harvst.co.uk)
They may seem a little pricey, but if your mum has long wanted a greenhouse, but only has room for one on her patio, this high-tech piece of kit may be just the ticket. Smart, self-watering and climate controlled, this aluminium-framed state-of-the-art greenhouse will suit the time-starved mum who wants to grow her own but doesn’t have time to tend her plants every day of the week.
Learning to grow…
20. Grow Your Own Fruit & Veg by Alan Titchmarsh (£18.99, BBC Books)
If your mum wants to join the ‘grow your own’ brigade, she can learn a lot from the garden master himself, Alan Titchmarsh, whose new book offers practical advice on all the stages of growing and covers all manner of common-or-garden edibles as well as gourmet ones, along with culinary tips.