Home   Sport   Article

Newtonmore start season with tight win over Kinlochshiel

By Staff Reporter

Contribute to support quality local journalism

NEWTONMORE began their quest to regain the Premiership title they lost last year with a 1–0 win over Kinlochshiel.

Newtonmore’s Iain Robinson (right) scored the only goal of the game.Newtonmore v Kinlochshiel in the Mowi Premiership, played at The Eilan, Newtonmore.
Newtonmore’s Iain Robinson (right) scored the only goal of the game.Newtonmore v Kinlochshiel in the Mowi Premiership, played at The Eilan, Newtonmore.

New manager Orsten Gardner got his tenure off to a winning start as Iain Robinson’s goal in the 20th minute was enough to keep both points in Badenoch.

Meanwhile champions Kingussie got off to a flier with a 7–1 trouncing of Caberfeidh at The Dell. Savio Genini took just three minutes to open the scoring for the home team.

Cabers were quickly back on level terms with Craig Morrison netting two minutes later. Kings took control and goals from James Falconer, Fraser Munro and Ruaraidh Anderson took them into a 4–1 interval lead.

Falconer, Genini and Anderson each netted again to post an emphatic opening day win.

Lovat fully exploited their home advantage by romping to a 6–0 win against Kilmallie.

With only two minutes gone, Lovat led 2–0 through a Greg Matheson double with Lewis Tawse increasing their advantage in the 16th minute. Matheson completed his hat trick in the 36th minute with both Tawse and Matheson netting again.

The fixtures involving Fort William and Kyles Athletic and Glasgow Mid Argyll and Oban Camanachd were both victims of rain sodden pitches.

In the National Division, Strathglass beat Lochaber 5 –4 at Cannich. Lochaber went 2–0 up through Stuart Callison and Max Campbell before Scott Douglas and Josh Fraser brought the score level at half time.

Penri Jones slipped the ball home in the 52nd minute to edge Strathglass in front with Lewis Douglas increasing the home lead four minutes later.

Callison struck again in the 76th minute only for Strath substitute Ciaran Melens to volley home a spectacular strike to restore Strath’s two goal advantage in the 87th minute.

Callison completed his hat trick with a minute remaining, however Strathglass held on to take both points.

Beauly won 4–0 at Aberdour with goals from Sean Stewart, Ryan MacKay, Robbie Brindle and Euan MacCormick.

Glenurquhart won 1–0 at Inveraray with James MacPherson’s penalty proving to be the difference.

In North One, Inverness got off to a bad start with a 3–0 loss to Glenurquhart. Newtonmore beat Kinlochshiel 12–0 and Kingussie beat Caberfeidh 9–0.

This website is powered by the generosity of readers like you.
Please donate what you can afford to help us keep our communities informed.


In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More