Home   Sport   Article

Inverness Athletic face league champions Golspie Sutherland in Football Times Cup first round

By Will Clark

Get the Inverness Courier sent to your inbox every week and swipe through an exact replica of the day's newspaper

INVERNESS Athletic are looking to go one better than the last time they faced league champions Golspie Sutherland when they clash in the Football Times Cup first round tomorrow.

Jason Golabek
Jason Golabek

Athletic were seven minutes away from pulling off a shock result on the opening day of the North Caledonian League when they led 4-2 before conceding two late goals in a 4-4 draw.

But since then, Athletic have suffered two disappointing results in the league with defeats to Orkney and a second-half collapse last week resulting in a 4-1 defeat to Loch Ness in the Inverness derby.

Manager Jason Golabek says the game against Golspie Sutherland on the opening day shows the quality he has in his squad.

And he is hoping that they can return to form this weekend after what has been disappointing results at home in the last two weeks.

“We are facing the champions again so fixtures aren’t getting any easier,” said Golabek.

“We will have another go, but we expect them to be stronger this time than the first week.

“But we will give it our best shot at Golspie.

“We are looking to pick up our squad after the derby at the weekend, and they are in good morale when we were in training this week.

“It is a cup game so it is a one off, and we are looking for the players to enjoy it.”

Inverness Athletic were 1-0 up after 60 minutes against Loch Ness last week, but Matty Shewan’s red card saw the 10 men collapse in the final half-hour.

Golabek says it was disappointing how his team threw away their advantage to concede so many goals late in the game and is looking to avoid any repeat in the future.

“We were very good for 60 minutes, but it is hard to play Loch Ness with 11 men, never mind 10,” he said.

“One bad decision with Matty getting sent off and then conceding made it an uphill battle from there.

“The boys dug in and worked their hardest, but once we were 2-1 down it was a tough ask.

“We tried to push forward to get back in the game, but we left ourselves open at the back and it resulted in us conceding two late goals.”

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

Get a digital copy of the Inverness Courier delivered straight to your inbox every week allowing you to swipe through an exact replica of the day's newspaper - it looks just like it does in print!


This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More