Home   Sport   Article

Highland Cross latest sporting event to be cancelled due to coronavirus


By Will Clark


Peter Fenwick was last year's champion Picture: Gary Anthony. Image No.044233.
Peter Fenwick was last year's champion Picture: Gary Anthony. Image No.044233.

ORGANISERS have announced that the 2020 Highland Cross has been cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The 50-mile duathlon is the latest event to be called off in a bid to halt to the disease which is seeing the number of cases continue to rise in Scotland.

The event involved a 20-mile run and 30-mile cycle starting at Kintail and finishing at Beauly.

Event co-founder Calum Munro says they had no choice but to cancel the event.

"The Organisers have delayed the decision whilst we examined any way that the event could be safely delivered," he said.

"But we have come to the conclusion that, given the current national medical emergency, Highland Cross 2020 cannot go ahead.

"The cancellation of Highland Cross is a sad situation for us.

"But it is worse for the five wonderful charities that were set to benefit from the event.

"They have been informed and have shown a humbling degree of understanding of and support for our decision."

Next year's event will take place on Saturday, June 19, 2021

For more news on the coronavirus click here.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More