Home   Sport   Article

Lovat lose out after extra time in Sutherland Cup final

By Will Clark

Contribute to support quality local journalism

Lovat failed in their bid to win the Sutherland Cup for the first time since 2010 when they went down 2–1 to Lochside Rovers in extra time.

Ross Campbell broke the deadlock for the Oban side in the 70th minute with Raymond Rennie equalising a minute later.

In the seventh minute of extra time Lewis Buchanan notched what turned out to be the winning goal for Lochside.

Lewis Buchanan scored the winning goal for Lochside against Lovat in the Sutherland Cup final. Picture: Neil Paterson
Lewis Buchanan scored the winning goal for Lochside against Lovat in the Sutherland Cup final. Picture: Neil Paterson

In the Premiership, Kyles Athletic prevented Caberfeidh racking up five wins on the bounce with a 4–1 win.

Craig Morrison gave Caberfeidh the lead after 60 seconds with Ross MacRae equalising five minutes later.

Colin MacDonald gave the visitors a 22nd minute lead with MacRae and MacDonald both netting again in the 60th and 80th minutes.

Kyles now relieve Cabers of sixth place in the table.

Basement-battlers Inveraray picked up their third win of the season with a 3–2 victory over second bottom Lochaber at Spean Bridge.

The visitors took a 3–0 lead with early strikes from Fraser Watt and Lewis MacNicol followed by a second from Watt in the 29th minute. Ben Delaney got the home side off the mark in the 41st minute with Findlay MacDonald’s 85th-minute goal ensuring a nervy last five minutes for the visitors.

James MacPherson’s return to the Glenurquhart team proved crucial in salvaging a National Division point against Skye at Blairbeg Park.

The former Lovat striker scored in the final minute to tie the score at 3–3.

Skye went in at the interval 2–0 ahead through James Pringle and Ross Gordon. Glenurquhart forced themselves back in to contention with goals from Neale Reid and Ewan Brady.

A John Barr own goal in the 87th minute looked to have won the points for the islander.

But MacPherson popped up to fire home a crucial equaliser.

Glen, with a game in hand, have closed the gap on leaders Fort William to six points.

At The Meadows, Iain MacDonald grabbed a 75th minute equaliser to earn Bute a 1–1 draw against visitors Strathglass.

Strath took the lead in the 15th minute through Penri Jones.

Iain MacDonald, who only recently returned from suspension will now be spending more time on the sidelines after being sent off in the final minute by referee Lachie Wood.

This website is powered by the generosity of readers like you.
Please donate what you can afford to help us keep our communities informed.


In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More