Home   Sport   Article

Clachnacuddin come from behind to beat Fort William in thriller at Merkinch

By Will Clark

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Have a look at our brand new digital subscription packages!

Highland League

Clachnacuddin 4

Fort William 3

Scorers – Clachnacuddin: Taylor (2) Anderson (31, 90) Miller (77) Fort William: Foster (18) Tshibikubula (21) Moore (25)

James Anderson scored the winner.
James Anderson scored the winner.

CLACHNACUDDIN came from two goals behind to defeat bottom of the table Fort William at Grant Street Park in a seven-goal thriller.

Fort William left Grant Street Park shell-shocked scoring three goals in eight minutes to lead 3–1 midway through the first half.

But Clachnacuddin dominated the second half and got their reward with James Anderson finding the winner three minutes from time.

Clachnacuddin took the lead after two minutes when a cross from the left wing from Calum Black found Liam Taylor who fired into the net from close range.

But Fort William stormed back to go 3–1 in front midway through the first half.

The three goals came within an eight minute period, Robbie Foster equalised after he unleashed a vicious volley into the back of the net from close range after connecting with a Blessing Tshibikubula cross from the left wing.

Tshibikubula gave Fort William the lead three minutes later when he was allowed a free header from eight yards to power past goalkeeper Martin Mackinnon.

Connor Moore then put Fort William 3–1 up in the 25th minute when his low drive from 20 yards out found the bottom right corner of the net.

Anderson reduced the deficit to one shortly after the half-hour, when he nodded Scott Morrison's cross from the right wing into the net.

Eachainn Miller thought he equalised for Clach in the second half after heading Morrison's free kick past the goalkeeper.

But after a discussion between the referee and linesman, he was ruled offside.

But Clachnacuddin levelled with 13 minutes remaining as a free kick into the box found Miller who fired home from close range.

The Lilywhites found the winner with three minutes remaining when Anderson connected with a cross into the box to fire home from close range.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

Keep up-to-date with important news from your community, and access exclusive, subscriber only content online. Read a copy of your favourite newspaper on any device via the brand new HNM App.

Learn more

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More