Home   Sport   Article

Doran injury time winner sends Caley Thistle to Hampden

By SPP Reporter

Aaron Doran wheels away in celebration after scoring Caley Thistle's opener. Picture: Ken Macpherson
Aaron Doran wheels away in celebration after scoring Caley Thistle's opener. Picture: Ken Macpherson

Dundee United 1

Inverness Caledonian Thistle 2

United: Clark (68 pen) ICT: Chalmers (19) Doran (90)

Aaron Doran's injury time winner has sent Inverness Caledonian Thistle into the semi finals of the Scottish Cup.

Joe Chalmers’ first half goal was cancelled out by Nicky Clark’s penalty midway through the second half.

But Doran managed to get his head on to a Brad McKay throw-in in the six-yard-box to send Caley Thistle into the semi final of the Scottish Cup.

Inverness made three changes to the team that was beaten by Dundee United five days earlier.

Carl Tremarco, Jamie McCart and Aaron Doran came into the starting 11 with Shaun Rooney and Nathan Austin dropped to the bench with Kevin McHattie out with a shoulder injury he sustained at Tannadice in the league encounter.

Caley Thistle had the first chance of the game when Coll Donaldson’s long ball was controlled by Jordan White who laid up Doran whose powerful low drive was parried out for a corner by Benjamin Seigrist.

The corner was met with a low header by Tremarco that was once again saved by the goalkeeper.

Caley Thistle won a free kick at the edge of the box when Doran was fouled by Ian Harkes. Liam Polworth’s free kick found White in the box who headed just over the bar.

Inverness broke the deadlock after 19 minutes when Polworth's pass found Joe Chalmers at the inside edge of the box who fired a ball straight into the top left corner.

It could have been 2-0 minutes later when Chalmers looked liked he was to get his second of the afternoon when he was unchallenged in the box to connect with a Doran cross which beat Siegrist but cannoned back off the crossbar.

Dundee United had a chance to pull one back just before half time when Peter Pawlett had a chance at goal but was blocked by Chalmers for a corner.

Pawlett's foul on Tremarco gave ICT a free kick at the edge of the box with Polworth's free kick from a tight angle forcing a save from Siegrist who also caught Chalmers’ follow up on the rebound.

The pressure continued from the visitors as Charlie Trafford’s strike from 25 yards went inches wide of the left hand post.

But Dundee United equalised in the 68 minute after Paul McMullan was judged to have been fouled by White and Nicky Clark fired the ball past Mark Ridgers into the bottom left corner.

ICT responded minutes later when White beat the offside trap and ran on to a Polworth pass but his shot was blocked by Siegrist.

ICT thought they went ahead seven minutes from time when Nathan Austin headed Sean Welsh's free kick into the net but he was ruled offside.

But Caley Thistle won it in injury time as McKay's throw was flicked on by White and Doran reacted in the six yard box to score and send them into the semi final.

The draw takes place after the Partick Thistle v Hearts quarter final tomorrow night.

United: Siegrist, Fyvie (Gomis, Clark, Safranko, Robson, Smith (McMullan 53), Reynolds, Harkes, Seaman, Pawlett, Connolly.

Subs (Unused) Laidlaw, Booth, Stanton, Gomis, Nesbitt, Watson.

ICT: Ridgers, Tremarco, Chalmers, Donaldson, McCart, Polworth, Doran, Welsh, White, McKay, Trafford (Austin 77)

Subs (Unused) C Mackay, Rooney, McCauley, D Mackay, McGregor, Hyde.

Referee Steven Maclean.

Attendance 7274.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More