Home   Sport   Article

Inverness Caledonian Thistle move to second in Scottish Championship with win at Alloa

By Will Clark

Contribute to support quality local journalism

Alloa Athletic 0

Inverness Caledonian Thistle 2

Scorers Taggart (38og) Doran (45)

Inverness Caledonian Thistle moved to second in the Championship as a Scott Taggart own goal and an Aaron Doran strike gave them all three points.

Liam Dick was sent off for Alloa after a two footed challenge on James Keatings as Caley Thistle moved two points above Ayr United whose game with Arbroath was postponed.

Aaron Doran scored Caley Thistle's second.
Aaron Doran scored Caley Thistle's second.

Inverness made two changes to the team which beat Dundee 1-0 seven days previously. Shaun Rooney came in to replace injured Brad McKay at right back while James Keatings replaced Kevin McHattie in midfield.

Inverness could have taken the lead in the opening minute in a lovely passage of play.

David Carson’s pass eventually found its way to Shaun Rooney on the right wing. But his pass across the face of goal was unable to find any takers.

A minute later at the other end, Alloa should have scored when Kevin O’Hara was allowed freedom down the right wing and his cross found Alan Trouten in the six-yard box who somehow hit it wide of the left post.

Inverness continued to create chances and came close in the 15th minute when James Keatings’ cross into the box found Carl Tremarco at the edge of the six-yard box who nodded wide of the left post.

Doran caused problems down the left wing and cross into the box found Miles Storey who laid up Coll Donaldson 12-yards from goal but he blasted his shot over the bar.

Doran produced a delightful back heel which set up Keatings at the edge of the box and a powerful low drive was well saved by Alloa goalkeeper Jamie MacDonald.

Alloa woke up midway through the first half and ICT goalkeeper Mark Ridgers had to be at full stretch to deny Iain Flannigan’s thunderous shot from 25 yards finding the top-left corner of the net.

Ridgers came to the rescue again when Trouten managed to get through on goal and from 12-yards forced a superb save from the Inverness number one.

But Inverness were gifted the lead seven minutes before half time when a lack of communication in the Alloa defence saw Scott Taggart nod David Carson’s long ball from midfield past goalkeeper Jamie MacDonald into his own net.

The visitors doubled their advantage on the stroke of half time when Shaun Rooney’s cross found the head of Jordan White who laid it up for Doran who fired into the net from 18-yards.

Alloa were reduced to 10 men shortly after the start of the second half when Liam Dick’s two footed lunge into Keatings saw him receive a straight red card.

But they could have pulled one back midway through the second halfwhen Kevin O’Hara was allowed freedom to run down the right wing and released a shot which hit the right post.

Inverness comfortably held on as they now have three of their next four games at home.

Alloa Athletic Macdonald, Deas, Graham, Dick, Taggart, Hetherington, Flannigan, Robertson, O’Hara, Trouten, Cawley.

Subs (Unused) Henry, Buchanan, Thomson, O’Donnell, Gilhooly, Gillespie, Malcolm.

Inverness: Ridgers, Rooney, Tremarco, Donaldson, McCart (McHattie 76), Keatings (Curry 73), Carson, White, Doran, Storey (MacGregor 73), Trafford.

Subs (Unused) Mackay, McHattie, Todorov, Harper, Machado.

This website is powered by the generosity of readers like you.
Please donate what you can afford to help us keep our communities informed.


In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More