ScotRail warns customers of ‘significant travel disruption’ during strike action
Get the Inverness Courier sent to your inbox every week and swipe through an exact replica of the day's newspaper
STRIKE action is set to cause "significant" disruption for rail passengers during the next six Sundays, ScotRail has warned.
It has warned Highland passengers to expect some services to be cancelled on every rail line in and out of Inverness as a result of the strikes by the RMT union, which are the result of a dispute between conductors and rail bosses over overtime payments.
Some services will be cancelled on the following local routes:
- Inverness – Aberdeen/Edinburgh/Glasgow
- Inverness – Kyle of Lochalsh/Wick
Customers are being advised to check their journeys to make sure trains are still running on their route. Anyone who has already purchased a ticket can travel either the day before, or day after the strike action, alternatively, a refund is available.
Graham Ralston, ScotRail head of conductors, said: “The strike action will have no impact on ScotRail’s position on overtime pay increases, given the severe financial challenges we face.
“The strike is wrong during a global pandemic and will have a significant impact on those who need to make essential journeys.
“We will do everything we can to minimise the consequences of this action, but key workers will be adversely affected. Inevitably, many will have to find alternative and much less convenient ways to get to work to perform their life-saving duties.”
Other affected routes include:
- Aberdeen – Glasgow/Edinburgh
- Aberdeen – Inverurie/Inverness
- Aberdeen – Perth/Dundee
- Edinburgh – Aberdeen
- Edinburgh – Inverkeithing/Glenrothes/Kirkcaldy/Perth/Dundee
- Edinburgh – Stirling/Dunblane
- Edinburgh – Tweedbank
- Edinburgh – North Berwick
- Edinburgh – Glasgow Central via Shotts
- Glasgow – Edinburgh via Falkirk High
- Glasgow – Anniesland
- Glasgow – Stirling/Alloa/Dunblane/Perth/Dundee
- Glasgow – Aberdeen
- Glasgow – Cumbernauld
- Glasgow – Alloa
- Glasgow – Barrhead/Kilmarnock/Dumfries/Carlisle
- Glasgow – Stranraer
- Glasgow – Crainlarich/Oban/Fort William/Mallaig