Home   News   Article

POLL RESULT: Courier readers back use of video technology by armed police


By Alasdair Fraser

Get the Inverness Courier sent to your inbox every week and swipe through an exact replica of the day's newspaper



Armed police outside Inverness Railway Station. Picture: Callum Mackay.
Armed police outside Inverness Railway Station. Picture: Callum Mackay.

Plans to equip armed police with body worn video (BWV) technology have been given overwhelming backing in an Inverness Courier poll.

Some 87 per cent of our readers supported the Police Scotland proposal with the remaining 13 per cent opposed.

Police Scotland says the cameras have been shown to have a positive impact on public and police officer safety.

All other armed police units in the UK are currently equipped with the cameras.

The force says bringing its officers into line with the rest of the country would ensure best practice, enhance evidence gathering and increase transparency and accountability at incidents.

It has launched its own online survey, open for three weeks from February 1, 2021, to allow members of the public to offer opinion on the likely deployment of BWV in Scottish policing.

More information is available at Police scotland’s website.



Get a digital copy of the Inverness Courier delivered straight to your inbox every week allowing you to swipe through an exact replica of the day's newspaper - it looks just like it does in print!

SUBSCRIBE NOW


This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More
');