Home   News   Article

Plans for new golf course at Castle Stuart between Inverness and Nairn


By Gregor White


The current course at Castle Stuart could be joined by a second in the future.
The current course at Castle Stuart could be joined by a second in the future.

MOVES to renew planning permission for a second championship golf course near Nairn signal owners’ ongoing commitment to the project, they have said.

A renewal of planning permission for the second course at Castle Stuart, which has played host to the Scottish Open four times, are being recommended for approval by Highland Council’s south planning applications committee which meets on Tuesday.

Plans were previously approved in 2016 and had the support of US golfing great Arnold Palmer, who at the time had a business empire in golf course design and leisurewear worth more than $700 million.

He visited Castle Stuart in 2015 to survey the terrain and meet course staff, aiming to put his stamp on what he envisaged the new course should look like, but died in 2016.

Stuart McColm, general manager of Castle Stuart Golf Links, said: “The renewal of the planning application is a procedural requirement and demonstrates our continuing commitment to building a second world class golf course at Castle Stuart.

“Due to a number of factors outwith our control, the development has not proceeded in line with our original timescale. However, we continue to be in discussions with a number of potential investors, including the Arnold Palmer Group, regarding a second championship course and accommodations at Castle Stuart.”

The new course would be of a similar size and scale to the existing one and would share current car parking and clubhouse facilities.

Environmental body Scottish Natural Heritage has assessed the plans and says it does not see them having any significant impact on wildlife in the area.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More