Home   News   Article

Inverness man showed 'no remorse' for victim

By Court Reporter

Contribute to support quality local journalism

A MAN who smashed up a kitchen and threatened his partner and police had shown no remorse or empathy for his victim a sheriff said.

Last month Jordan Macdonald (22), of Aird Avenue, Inverness, was formally sentenced to five months’ imprisonment for an unprovoked assault carried out in Inverness city centre in April.

Having been remanded as that case proceeded through court his sentence was backdated and he was released ahead of a further appearance last week.

Sentence had been deferred for reports with regards to the offence committed against his partner which took place at their home in Huntly Avenue, Inverness on July 20.

Inverness Sheriff Court previously heard how Macdonald behaved in a threatening manner towards his partner, punched walls, threw items around and damaged kitchen units.

He later threatened police and his partner when officers attended at the address.

Depute fiscal Robert Weir said Macdonald wrecked the property after coming home drunk.

“He attempted to argue with his partner at around 4am, becoming aggressive,” he said.

“He was throwing things around in the living room and turned over a table, cutting his hand. Blood was splattered everywhere.

“He then smashed up the kitchen before returning to the living room, shouted and swore at his partner and punched holes in doors and walls.

“She went into the bedroom, followed by Macdonald who started to trash it. He removed her clothes from where they were placed and smeared them with his blood.”

Sheriff Margaret Neilson had previously deferred sentence to see if Macdonald was suitable for a domestic abuse project.

Solicitor Duncan Henderson said a background report concluded he was a suitable candidate.

Nevertheless Sheriff Neilson said she was concerned that the report before her showed Macdonald had expressed little regret and no remorse for his offending, as well as a lack of empathy for his victim.

She told Macdonald she was not impressed and ordered him to carry out 155 hours of unpaid work in the community.

She also placed him under social work supervision for a period of two years and made him subject to a non-harassment order for the same period.

“I’m not going to fix a review of this order – if you breach it you will go straight to prison,” she told him.

This website is powered by the generosity of readers like you.
Please donate what you can afford to help us keep our communities informed.


In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More