Home   News   Article

National Trust for Scotland’s fundraising team walks over 800 miles in support of Culloden Battlefield Fighting Fund – the worldwide fundraising drive challenged people to follow in the footsteps of Bonnie Prince Charlie and his Jacobite army


By Ian Duncan

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Have a look at our brand new digital subscription packages!



The team at National Trust for Scotland’s Culloden Battlefield have reached over 800 miles in their worldwide fundraising drive which challenged people to follow in the footsteps of Bonnie Prince Charlie and his Jacobite army.
The team at National Trust for Scotland’s Culloden Battlefield have reached over 800 miles in their worldwide fundraising drive which challenged people to follow in the footsteps of Bonnie Prince Charlie and his Jacobite army.

The team at National Trust for Scotland’s Culloden Battlefield have reached more than 800 miles in their worldwide fundraising drive which challenged people to follow in the footsteps of Bonnie Prince Charlie and his Jacobite army.

Taking place in the 275th anniversary year of the battle, which ended the Jacobite rising of 1745, the Culloden Step Challenge has seen hundreds of supporters walk more than 500,000 steps in six weeks, the same distance travelled by Bonnie Prince Charlie’s army during the rebellion.

Money that has been raised will go into the Culloden Fighting Fund, which will help conservation charity the National Trust for Scotland protect and care for the land, and continue to challenge planning applications and developments which threaten the site where more than 1500 Jacobites died in less than an hour.

Supporters from the UK and across the world – including the USA, Denmark and Switzerland – have all taken on the 500,000 step challenge each, clocking up a total of over 15 million steps in support of the fund.

Debbie Reid, admissions and membership manager at Culloden Battlefield and Visitor Centre, took part in the challenge and said it was not too late to donate.

She said: “We completed the Culloden Step Challenge on Sunday and would like to thank everyone who has supported us so far. From fellow National Trust for Scotland members and four-legged friends taking part and clocking up the steps, to our wider volunteer community and visitor donations, each and every penny helps us to fight for and protect the battlefield here at Culloden.

“This challenge has not been an easy one and there have been a few aches and pains along the way, but it has been worthwhile, hugely rewarding and the team here at Culloden has loved hearing their updates along the way. That so many have got involved from all walks of life, and from all over the world, shows just how many people love this place and want to see it protected.

“Everyone who took part covered the same 500,000 steps that Charles Edward Stuart did during the 1745 Rising and the money that has been raised will help ensure that this battlefield is protected for generations to come.”

• To support the team in the Culloden Step Challenge a donation can be made here and for more information on the Culloden Fighting fund visit here.


Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.


Keep up-to-date with important news from your community, and access exclusive, subscriber only content online. Read a copy of your favourite newspaper on any device via the brand new HNM App.

Learn more


This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More