Home   News   Article

Inverness Sheriff Court hears that driver broke his ankle in fall and police were called to Kessock Point where intoxicated man was wielding a metal pole assaulted the passing motorist

By Ali Morrison

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Subscribe to a digital package and support local news publishing.

Inverness Justice Centre.
Inverness Justice Centre.

Police were called to a scenic viewpoint after a man wielding a metal pole assaulted a passing motorist who had got out of his car to challenge his attacker.

Inverness Sheriff Court was told that 23-year-old Gavin Hampton was intoxicated at around 10.40am on November 2 last year in Kessock Road and at Kessock Point when the incident began.

It resulted in six police vehicles and an ambulance being called to the scene to deal with Hampton who had entered the firth to begin a short stand-off with officers.

However, fiscal depute Robert Weir told the court that, when Hampton was arrested, he attempted to spit and coughed towards police officers while in the course of being restrained.

Hampton appeared from custody before Sheriff Margaret Neilson and admitted threatening behaviour, assault to severe injury and culpable and reckless conduct.

As he was still under social work supervision, a background report was necessary and Hampton will be sentenced on March 21. He was again remanded. The court heard that Hampton was first seen walking down the middle of Kessock Road, shouting and swearing and challenging people to fight.

Mr Weir said: “One motorist turned round at a roundabout to go back up Kessock Road and Hampton threw his mobile phone at it and struck it. The driver got out to challenge Hampton who had a metal pole but was head-butted. He fell to the ground and broke his ankle.”

The prosecutor then said Hampton, described in court documents as a prisoner in Inverness, entered the water but was talked out by police.

“As he was being led to the van, he prepared to spit towards officers and then coughed but was restrained,” said Mr Weir, who added that Hampton’s threatening behaviour towards police continued.

Defence agent Rory Gowans said his client “knew what was coming” but the background report was necessary.

View our fact sheet on court reporting here

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More