Recipe of the week: The Vegan Society’s orange salad with olive cigars
Celebrate World Vegan Month in November with this tasty dish from the Vegan Society.
Filo pastry (4 sheets)
20 black olives, stoned
3 dates, stoned
½ tsp smoked paprika
50g/1½ oz shelled pistachios
For the salad
1 small red cabbage
100g/3½ oz pistachios
For the salad dressing
2 tsp wholegrain mustard
3 tsp sherry vinegar
3 tsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking parchment.
2. Place the filling ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and process to a paste. Divide into eight portions.
3. Take a sheet of filo pastry and lay it on a clean work surface.
4. Brush sheet with oil, top with another sheet and then cut into four rectangles.
5. Brush with oil again. Take a portion of the filling and form it into a line along a long edge of the pastry. Roll up tightly and place on prepared baking tray. Brush with oil.
6. Repeat to make eight ‘cigars’. Bake for 15-20 minutes until crisp and golden, transfer to rack to cool.
For the salad
1. Shred the cabbage finely – allow 50g per person. Place in a large bowl.
2. Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, then pour onto the cabbage and mix thoroughly.
3. Cut the rind and pith off the orange(s) and slice into rounds – allow one or two per person.
4. Preheat a ridged griddle pan. Place the orange slices on the hot pan and allow to sit until caramelised in stripes.
5. Chop the pistachios roughly.
Assemble the dish by piling the cabbage onto each plate, sprinkling with chopped pistachios, and adding a slice of orange, a ‘cigar’ or two and a grind of black pepper.
Recipe and image courtesy of the Vegan Society. Visit www.vegansociety.com for more delicious recipes, as well as advice and tips on adopting a vegan diet.