Recipe of the week: poppy and coconut beef kebabs with roasted chilli salsa
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
1kg beef sirloin, cut into 2.5cm dice
3tbsp olive oil
2tbsp minced garlic
2tbsp minced ginger
1tsp dried red chilli flakes
3tbsp poppy seeds
3tbsp white sesame seeds
1tbsp cumin seeds
4tbsp desiccated coconut
For the roasted chilli salsa:
3 long green chillies, tops trimmed
6-8tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus an extra drizzle for oiling the chillies
1 garlic clove, peeled
A large handful of flat-leaf parsley
A handful of mint
Juice of 1 lemon
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the diced beef in a large bowl. In a separate small bowl, mix together the olive oil, garlic and ginger and pour over the beef. Mix with your hands to ensure the beef is well coated. Cover the bowl with cling film and marinate in the fridge for one hour.
2. Next, make the salsa. Place the green chillies on a small baking tray and lightly drizzle with oil. Place the tray under the hot grill for five to 10 minutes, until the chillies are charred and blistered – they should be nice and soft. Alternatively, this can be done directly on the barbecue.
3. Put the garlic, parsley, mint, lemon juice and charred chillies into a food processor and pulse for four to five seconds. Add the oil and pulse again, until the mixture is well combined but still quite coarse. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
4. Heat a small dry frying pan over a low heat, add the chilli flakes, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, cumin seeds and desiccated coconut and lightly toast. As soon as the coconut turns golden, remove from the heat and tip into a pestle and mortar. Grind to a coarse texture.
5. Remove the marinated beef from the fridge, add the spice mixture and massage the spices into the beef. Thread the pieces of beef onto skewers.
6. Place the beef skewers on the pre-heated barbecue (or a chargrill pan) and grill, turning frequently, for about six minutes, depending on how you like your beef cooked. Once cooked, remove from the heat and let rest for five minutes before serving.
7. Place the beef kebabs on a board and spoon over the salsa.