Published: 11/09/2011 18:31 - Updated: 11/09/2011 18:40

North of Scotland Cup final victory for Caley Thistle

Written byForres Mechanics 3, Caley Thistle 4

Caley Thistle logoCALEY Thistle won back the North of Scotland Cup after edging out battling Forres Mechanics.

Inverness beat the spirited holders 4-3 at Mosset Park - Forres' home ground.

The visitors were 3-0 ahead at the break but the Highland League side fought back to provide a dramatic finish.

A team blended with youth and experience helped bring the trophy back to the Highland Capital club, who won it the season before last.

Northern Ireland internationalist goalkeeper Jonny Tuffey, French defender Kenny Gillet and the returning David Proctor provided vast know-how at the back.

While Shane Sutherland, Billy McKay, Liam Polworth and Aidan Chippendale have all tasted Scottish Premier League action.

Chippendale and Sutherland were the only players to do double duty this weekend after being involved in the 1-1 draw against Hearts at Tulloch Caledonian Stadium yesterday.

Sutherland was first to threaten when his goal-bound header was saved by Stuart Knight after an Andrew Greig cross.

Ryan Green provided an outlet for the hosts but he squandered two decent opportunities prior to Lee Fraser ballooning over when in a one-on-one situation before Sutherland made Forres pay in the 27th minute.

The 20-year-old hammered home off the crossbar after neat interplay with Chippendale.

Straight from the restart Caley Thistle won back the ball and heap further pain on the shell-shocked hosts when McKay beat Knight.

Kyle Scott twice missed chances to reduce arrears as Forres searched for a route back into the final.

The task became even harder in 42 minutes when Nathan Sharp felled Grieg in the area. McKay despatched the penalty with aplong despite Knight's best efforts.

Scott had a further opening moments before the interval but he lifted the ball over the bar. 

Forres notched through copntroversial means seven minutes after the restart. After a conversation with his assistant, referee Doug Ross pointed to the spot, seemingly for an incident between Chippendale and Ross MacPherson.

Simon Allan made no mistake in beating Tuffey.

Scott might have reduced arrears further when he connected with a Scott Moore cross but his header on the hour was just too high.

Greig restored the three-goal advantage in 68 minutes when he was found with a low cross by Chippendale and fired home from an angle at close range.

Forres reponded well with Moore's header from a Scott pass just crossed the line three minutes later after hitting the bar.

Lee Fraser made for an exciting ending when he hammered home in stoppage time, but it was not enough to prevent Inverness claiming the cup.

CALEY THISTLE - Tuffey; Skinner, Gillet, Murphy, Proctor, Polworth, Greig (Watson, 86), Laing, Sutherland, McKay, Chippendale. Subs unused: Stewart, Dingwall, Whyte, Baldy.

FORRES MECHANICS - Knight; G. Fraser, Allan, Grant, Sharp, MacPherson, Barron (Duguid, 64), Moore, L. Fraser, Scott, Green (Tweedie, 86). Subs unused: McNab, Davidson, Main. Booked: Moore, G. Fraser.

Attendance: 565.

Referee: D. Ross.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo