Published: 27/01/2018 16:11 - Updated: 27/01/2018 17:09

Inverness pay the penalties for Mulraney moment of madness


Jake Mulraney was sent off before half time. Picture: Ken Macpherson.
Jake Mulraney was sent off before half time. Picture: Ken Macpherson.


Falkirk   3 Inverness Caledonian Thistle 1

Scorers – Falkirk Muirhead (48 pen, 65 pen) Nelson (87) ICT: Mackay (84)

JAKE Mulraney suffered a rush of blood to the head as he was sent off before half time as Caley Thistle went down at Falkirk.

The Irishman received his marching orders after picking up two yellow cards in the space of four minutes as Inverness lost ground in their chase for a play-off spot.

Four minutes before the interval Mulraney was booked for fouling Louis Longridge at the edge of the box.

On the stroke of half time he was guilty of a blatant push on Andrew Nelson while chasing him down the right wing leaving referee Euan Anderson no choice but to send him off.

The sending off resulted in the course of the game changing after a positive first half performance from Caley Thistle where despite pushing forwards weren’t able to test the goalkeeper as much as they could have.

Their best chance came midway through the first half when George Oakley was unchallenged six yards from goal and connected with Joe Chalmers corner. But he could not produce enough power on his shot to trouble goalkeeper Robbie Thomson.

Falkirk took the lead in the 48th minute when Chalmers brought down Longridge in the box and Aaron Muirhead powered the ball into the net from 12 yards.

The hosts doubled their advantage again from the penalty spot when Collin Seedorf was adjudged to have brought down Tommy Robson.

Muirhead again made no mistake from 12 yards to build a two goal advantage.

Teenager Daniel Mackay pulled one back six minutes from time when he controlled a long punt from Caley’s own half to hold off the Falkirk defence and fired a powerful low drive past Thomson from 15 yards.

But Falkirk restored their two goal advantage three minutes later when Nelson headed a cross from the left wing past Ridgers from close range to seal the three points.

Falkirk - Thomson, Kidd, McGhee, Muirhead, Grant, Taiwo (Jakubiak 66), Sibbald, Longridge, Tumilty, Robson, Nelson (O’ Hara 89). Subs - Hazard, McKee, Blair, Loy, Watson.

ICT - Ridgers, Chalmers, Warren, Oakley (Mackay 78). Mulraney, Calder, Seedorf, Bell (Baird 69) McKay, Donaldson, Trafford (Brown 82). Subs: Esson, Doran, Harper.

Referee Euan Anderson

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo