Broken foot puts Barrowman out for two months

ANDREW Barrowman is facing up to eight weeks on the sidelines after breaking his metatarsal in Tuesday's victory over Morton.

The former Caley Thistle striker started against Morton, but managed only 41 minutes before having to be replaced by Garry Wood.

It has now been confirmed that Barrowman, who rejoined County in February this year after leaving Inverness, has broken his foot and could be out until the start of October.

Despite losing the services of the 25-year-old, County manager Derek Adams insists he has more than enough cover up front to cope in Barrowman's absence.

"It's a real setback for Andy," he said. "It was difficult for him when he first came back to the club, but he worked hard to get himself fit over pre-season and into the first-team.

"However, we have to move on. We've got Garry Wood, Steven Craig, Paul Di Giacomo and Michael Gardyne who can all play up front, so I don't see me going into the transfer market to bring another forward in."

County return to league duty tomorrow with Falkirk the visitors to Victoria Park and Adams is wary of a backlash from the Bairns.

Relegated from the Scottish Premier League last season, Falkirk began life in Division One with a 1-0 home defeat to Dunfermline a result that Adams believes will give them extra motivation to put some points on the board at County's expense this weekend.

"Despite dropping down a league, Falkirk still possess a good squad," said Adams, who revealed Gary Miller is a slight injury doubt for tomorrow's game.

"Burton O'Brien in the middle of the park is a very good player, while they have good experience at the back with the likes of Brian McLean and goalkeeper Robert Olejnik.

"Falkirk will be hurting from last weekend's loss and will be hoping they can make amends, but it's a game we're looking forward to as we've started the season very well."

The Dingwall club made it four successive victories since the start of the new season, but to do so they had to come from behind against Morton in the Challenge Cup.

Kevin Kelbie's 16th-minute opener put the visitors ahead, but County were back on level terms in the 37th minute as Kevin McKinlay contrived to put the ball into his net following a Richard Brittain cross.

A wonderful goal by Michael Gardyne after 58 minutes put the hosts in front and they made sure of the win in injury-time courtesy of Martin Scott's close-range header.

ROSS COUNTY McGovern; Miller (Lawson, 46), Scott, Boyd, Morrison, Gardyne, McCormack, Barrowman (Wood, 41), Corcoran, Di Giacomo, Brittain. Subs unused: Craig, Vigurs, Malin.

MORTON Cuthbert; Evans, Smyth, McCaffrey, McKinlay, Jenkins (Weatherson, 72), Tidser (Monti, 72), Holmes, Bachirou, Kean, Kelbie. Subs unused: MacFarlane, Greacen, Stewart.

Attendance: 856.

Referee: W. Collum.

l County have been drawn away to face Forfar Athletic in the third round of the Challenge Cup. The tie takes place Sunday, 5th September.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo