Police in Inverness were alerted to a sudden death on Southside Road, Inverness, just after 8am this morning.
A member of the public alerted emergency services to an unresponsive man on a pavement close to the Heathmount Hotel. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
A blue tent was put up around the garden where the body was found, and several police cars and vans were used to seal off the area.
Mothers were putting posts up on social media warning others not to take their children that way to school.
A police spokeswoman said: "There are no apparent suspicious circumstances and enquiries are ongoing to trace the man's next of kin. Until this is complete no further details will be issued.
"Officers remain at the scene to carry out necessary enquiries and thank members of the local community for their co-operation and assistance in this regard."
Police alerted to sudden death of man who died on the street near the Heathmount Hotel in Inverness
- Cromarty Firth drone pilot's antics go global
- Hunt is on to find Loch Ness Monster's genes
- 'Outlander effect' causing traffic woes for garage boss
- Parking woes may be in the past for Raigmore Hospital
- Police investigate Cromarty Firth drone landing
- Police 'broke promises' over control room closure
- Schoolboy shot in the head with a BB gun
- Secret drugs stashed in woods believed to have poisoned pet dog
- Highland parking fee rises feared as targets fall £400k short
- Britain declares war on Germany in 1914