FIREFIGHTERS have been dealing with a blaze at a house in Smithton.
The police and fire service were called to the property in Murray Road around 7.15am.
Nobody was in the house at the time of the blaze.
Neighbours said a man named Peter Morrison, who is believed to be in his 60s, lived at the house but had been away over Christmas.
One resident spoke of her shock at finding two fire engines and police vehicles at the house.
"I woke at about 7.30am and I went to get my paper from the front door and I saw the fire brigade and smoke coming from the house," she said.
"It was a shock."
The cause of the fire is still being investigated, but, at this stage, there does not appear to be any suspicious circumstances.
The occupants of two nearby properties were evacuated as a precautionary measure.