THE first Belisha beacons with their distinctive amber-coloured globe lamp on top of a tall black and white pole appeared in the town centre in October.
They aimed to make it safer for pedestrians to cross the increasingly congested streets. Named after Leslie Hore-Belisha, the Minister of Transport, they were first introduced in London in 1934 and rolled out nationally the following year.
In Inverness, 23 crossings were installed at 13 junctions at a cost of £345.
In reporting on the new street feature, The Inverness Courier outlined how they should be used by pedestrians, motorists and cyclists.
"In the past no provision was made for pedestrian traffic, a fact which increased the risk of accident and imposed a strain on pedestrians and motorists alike," the newspaper stated.